* * *
Welcome to Day 25! Today our challenge is to enjoy some free family fun! It’s been a long month. Time to relax and have fun together as a family. Wouldn’t you agree?
On Day 2 we were supposed to plan some free family activities. Today is one of those days! Check out these free or inexpensive activities listed below. Get creative! Add your own fun, free things to do to the list below!
Which of these 38 fun activities will you do with your family?
I. At Home:
1. Play a Board Game Together – Inexpensive/Free – Monopoly, Scrabble, Clue, Risk, Chess are always classics. If you are into more niche games there’s always Act Your Wage, Dominion, Settlers of Catan, El Granda, Puerto Rico, Acquire, etc.
2. Dinner and Dancing at Home – Inexpensive/Free – Cook together and then spend the evening dancing.
3. Have a Movie Marathon – Inexpensive/Free – Lord of the Rings, Bourne, Star Wars, or even just a few good chick flicks.
4. Home Picnic – Inexpensive/Free – If the weather doesn’t cooperate have your spread on the living room floor!
5. Work on a Puzzle Together – Inexpensive/Free – 100, 500, or 1000+ pieces. Good fun that can take hours (literally).
6. Play an interactive video game together – Free – Ninentendo Wii can be fun for hours for example!
II. Outside Activities:
7. Go on a Picnic – Inexpensive/Free – Sandwich makings, some fruit, juice, and a little dessert make a great outing!
8. Go for A Moonlight Walk – Free – Romantic, fun, and costs nothing. Kids might love counting stars too!
9. Go Hiking – Free – For those more physically inclined who love the outdoors.
10. Go Camping – Inexpensive/Free – Go to your favorite spot wether it’s the backyard or a local national park.
11. Go Rock Climbing – Inexpensive/Free – For those with adventurous spirits and the gear rock climbing can be great fun.
12. Go for A Bike Ride – Free – For those more physically inclined who love the outdoors but rather ride something. Miles of fun!
13. Fly a Kite – Inexpensive/Free – Buy it the first time. Then enjoy those windy days!
14. Play a Sport Together – Free – For those more physically inclined who love sports. Basketball, Soccer, Baseball, Hockey, Racquetball, Tennis, or Golf are always fun. Play in your local gym, community center, YMCA, or in your backyard.
15. Live Music – Inexpensive/Free – Some great little known bands out there at restaurants and/or bars.
16. Botanical Gardens – Free – Enjoy nature in your local city.
17. Go to a Park and Throw a Frisbee – Inexpensive/Free – What great fun. Frisbee golf is always an option if you have more than one Frisbee.
18. Walk the Dog – Free – Take your pup to a park and have a blast!
19. People Watching – Free – At a local park or even the mall (I know that’s not outside but…)
20. Go on a family walk – Free – Explore your neighborhood. Meet your neighbors!
21. Test Drive Vehicles – Free – It’s great to dream and even drive various vehicles. Just don’t get suckered into a deal.
22. Go House Shopping – Free – Once again it’s great to dream. Just don’t get suckered into a deal.
23. Garage (Or Yard) Sales – Inexpensive – Find good deals and hidden gems.
24. Thrift Stores – Inexpensive – Used yet nice. Good way to save money on things you actually need. Set a limit of say $20 and see what treasures you can find.
25. The $10 Challenge – Inexpensive – See who can get the best deals/values for under $10. Or better yet. Go to a store like half price books and see what you can get for $10 then leave after purchasing nothing. Great way to get to know someone else’s tastes.
26. Make Ice Cream – Inexpensive – Instead of going out to eat and paying $10-$30 a plate eat a meal at home. Then make delicious homemade ice cream!
27. Antique Shops – Inexpensive/Free – Never know what treasures might be waiting. Don’t have the cash? Don’t buy anything.
IV. Relatively Inexpensive:
28. Go Bowling – Inexpensive – A fund night at the bowling alley!
29. Go Roller Skating – Inexpensive – Music, skating, fun. What else is needed?
30. Go Ice Skating – Inexpensive – Dress warm. Just don’t break a leg!
31. Volunteer Together – Free – Help a local charity, tutor some kids, volunteer at a local church or community center.
32. Breakfast/Brunch at Home and a Matinee – Inexpensive – Enjoy each other’s company and save by going to a show during the day.
33. Art Exhibit – Inexpensive/Free – What is going on downtown?
34. Museum – Inexpensive/Free – What is going on downtown?
35. Sports Teams – Inexpensive – Basketball, Football, Hockey, Soccer, Baseball are all great fun. And you don’t have to do the whole “professional” thing. Try the local high schools or college. Or if that doesn’t appeal try the local sports-bar or just stay at home watching your favorite team.
36. Go to the Local Library – Free – Great fun to read together at say Barnes & Noble. Great for movie rentals too. If they don’t have what you want order it and pick it up in a few days.
37. Make a Time Capsule – Inexpensive/Free – Write down what you’re doing today and open it all up in 10 years.
38. Color or Draw – Inexpensive/Free – Make or color pictures together. Abstract or more realistic. What’s your style?
* * *
What of these 38 fun activities will you and your family be doing today? Which is your favorite idea? Anything else you’d like to add?