* * *
Welcome to day 20! Today our assignment is to clean and organize our kids’ room(s).
But first if you completed yesterday’s assignment, doesn’t it feel great to start the day with a clean home office?
Okay, we’ll be cleaning and organizing our kids room(s) in two phases: 1st Phase Get rid of the excess and 2nd Phase Re-organize space to fit the kids needs.
1st Phase: Get rid of the excess.
As we sort through our kids stuff let’s ask ourselves the following 7 questions:
1. Do the kids still play or use these toys?
2. Do these clothes still fit?
3. Are these toys or clothes still age appropriate?
4. Are these items in good condition?
5. Do these items enrich the kids lives in some way?
6. Do these items have sentimental value?
7. Could someone else use these toys or clothes more?
After answering the above questions organize toys into 5 piles.
Note: You’ll need 3 boxes and a trash can.
- Put away (Need a box. This is stuff to either store away for when they get older, a different season, or in a different room).
- Donate (Need a box)
- Sell (Need a box)
- Throw Away/Recycle (Need a trash can)
- Things to keep or put away in the kids room.
2nd Phase: Re-organize space to fit the kids needs.
Check out these suggestions to reorganize the kids rooms on Pinterest. Our kiddos are constantly changing and growing. What was their favorite toys or clothes last year probably aren’t their favorites this year. Re-organize the space and label drawers with pictures to help them understand where things go.
Remember, it doesn’t do us any good if we as parents are the only ones who understand where everything goes!
* * *
What for you is the hardest part of getting rid of the kids stuff? How do you keep the kid(s) room organized? Are you in the habit of regularly purging the kids stuff or is it something you try to avoid?