* * *
Welcome to day 18! Today our assignment is to clean the bedroom closet.
We have 3 days of cleaning left for the month! If your bedroom closet is small maybe tackle on cleaning out several bedroom closets! It’s time to tackle the piles of clothing, shoes, accessories, towels, or whatever else that gives us bad headaches whenever we look at them.
Here’s the possibilities of what your bedroom closet could look like!
So let’s get started! Here’s a 5 tips on how to clean your bedroom closet.
- Before starting on the closet, make your bed and tidy up the rest of the bedroom. You’re going to need the space on the bed for this closet cleaning task. It will also theoretically help you feel better.
- Take out the overflowing items. And place them on your bed. This will help create space in the cloest.
a. Items you haven’t used or worn in over a year.
b. Items you don’t like
c. Items that don’t fit
d. Items that are stained, ripped, or unusable.
e. Items that are out of season.
- Now, sort the items into 5 categories.
a. Donate – Donate to your favorite local charity.
b. Give Away – Give to your friends and family. Remember only give away items that are stil usable.
c. Sell – For items like shoes, purses, or name brand clothing.
d. Store – The out of season items can be stored.
e. Trash – For items that are stained, ripped, or unusable. Straight to the trash can!
- Empty the closet out!
a. The clothes that are on the bed need to be hung correctly and should be facing the same direction.
b. Don’t use broken hangers. Toss those broken hangers out.
c. Place shoes, purses, scarfs, & other accessories in piles of similar items.
d. Add remaining items to the Donation, Sell, Storage, and Trash pile as needed
e. Items that don’t belong should be returned the proper room. Toys for example could go to the kids room or play room.
f. Think through your closet space. Remember, you don’t HAVE to put things back the way they were originally.
g. CLEAN the shelves, dust, sweep, and vacuum.
- Now put it all back!
a. Re-hang Clothing in a way that makes sense to your situation. Do you prefer to sort items by color, category, season, or something else?
b. Place shoes back into the closet while sorting by type and color.
c. Place purses, scarfs, & other accessories back into the closet while sorting by type and color. Consider hanging the purses and scarfs if you have the space.
It’s a good idea to keep things tidy by working a few minutes each day to clear up clutter and wipe down surfaces. If you want to read more check out this article from All You on speed cleaning your house in 30 minutes!
Here’s 7 FREE ways to organize your closet:
- Crown Molding Shoe Rack – via Home Stories A to Z, original source unknown
- Plastic Shower Ring Scarf Holder – via The Imagination of Jenny Lynne
- Towel Rack Scarf Holder – via Apartment Therapy
- Wooden Hanger Belt Rack – via MarthaStewart.com
- Cardboard Drawer Dividers – via A Real Housewife of NYC
- Cluster Organization – via HGTV.com
- Hanging Flip Flop Holders – via EPBOT
* * *
How often do your organize your bedroom closet? Do you feel you spend too much money often because you have “nothing to wear?”